2018 Redbox Bowl Best Bet and Odds (Michigan State vs. Oregon)
The Oregon Ducks are field goal-favorites over the Michigan State Spartans, according to the USA online betting sites. Oregon ended up in fourth place in the Pac 12 North division with an 8-4 record (5-4 in conference play). They also finished 4-8 ATS in the regular season. Their previous game was a 55-15 win over Oregon State as 18-point road faves. This will be the Ducks’ fifth straight bowl appearance and first San Francisco Bowl (aka Redbox Bowl).
Michigan State finished fourth in the Big Ten East Division with seven wins and five losses (5-4 in conference play). The Spartans also went 4-8 per the best online sportsbooks. Their regular season closer was a 14-10 win over Rutgers as 24.5-point home chalk. This will be MSU’s 12th bowl straight bowl bid and first San Francisco/Redbox Bowl.
Betting Michigan State
This is definitely not the season head coach Mark Dantonio envisioned. But he hopes the San Francisco Bowl can at least wash the losing taste from the players’ mouths. “I just think it sends your football team out one year and into the next year on a positive vibe,” he said. “You want to have a feel-good [moment] at the end of every season,” Dantonio said. “You want to feel good about where you left it. … As much as anything, we want to leave our season playing our best football.” I don’t about feel-good. It would be more of a feel-less-bad moment.
Head coach Mario Cristobal experienced up-close how to beat the everloving crap out of the Spartans. He happened to be Alabama’s o-line coach when the Tide blew MSU to Kingdom Come 38-0 back in ’15. “I’m relying on some of that stuff from the memory banks of playing them before,” he said, “and they are consistent with what they do.” Like Saint Augustine and Hannibal Lecter, he will pay a visit to the old memory palace.
According to the USA online betting sites, the Ducks are 0-6 ATS in their last six games on grass. Perhaps they should lay off it in the days preceding the San Francisco Bowl.
Michigan State Spartans vs. Oregon Ducks – RedBox Bowl Betting Preview
- Date: December 31
- Time: 12:00 p.m. PT
- Venue: Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara, CA (San Francisco Bowl)
Lines from MyBookie.ag:
- MICHIGAN STATE +3 (-115) +125 O 48 (-110)
- OREGON -3 (-105) -145 U 48 (-110)
- Spartans are 20-8-1 ATS in their last 29 games after allowing less than 275 total yards in their previous game
- Spartans are 31-13-2 ATS in their last 46 games after allowing less than 170 yards passing in their previous game
- Spartans are 2-7 ATS in their last 9 vs. Pac-12
- Ducks are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games after accumulating less than 170 yards passing in their previous game
- Ducks are 6-16-1 ATS in their last 23 games after accumulating more than 200 yards rushing in their previous game
- Ducks are 5-15-1 ATS in their last 21 games following a straight up win
Our Game Prediction: Even a three-point margin might a bit too much to ask of Michigan State’s offense. The Spartans are tied for 122nd in the country in scoring offense with just 19.8 points per game. As a matter of fact, they have scored just 26 points in the last three games. Not 26 points per game, mind you, but 26 points between the three games. MSU’s defense is suspect as well. They allow 230.2 passing yards per game (64th). As long as he doesn’t skip the game, Justin Herbert should torch this secondary. And users of the best online betting sites should take Oregon and the points.
— Redbox Bowl (@RedboxBowl) December 28, 2018