Will Conor McGregor use Twitter before the UFC 202?
With the upcoming UFC fight 202 between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz we remembered what happened before the UFC 200 fight with McGregor and some messages on twitter.
The cryptic messages was sent on Twitter by Conor McGregor about retiring due to a labour dispute . The Irish superstar was due to fight at UFC 200 against Nate Diaz in the headline event. At that moment, no one knows if this fight is was going to take place or not.
The chaos all started when McGregor tweeted that he had retired from the sport. The tweet spread like wildfire across the internet and is the most retweeted from a sports star in the history of twitter. The UFC president Dana White than when on national media to say that the Irishman had been pulled from UFC 200 due to not complying with the promotional requirements.
After Dana White’s announcement McGregor again took to social media to say he was not retiring from the sport. He went on to attack the UFC saying he has done more than any other fighter for the organization and believed he had done enough promotional work not to warrant having to take part in promoting the fight. The fighter believes that all the promo work he did in the build up to his fight against Diaz at UFC 196, was one of the reasons he lost. He wants to be able to concentrate on preparing correctly for it this time around and felt that flying halfway around the world for a press conference would damage that.
During the press conference for UFC 200 McGregor did not turn up. When Dana White was asked about the situation, he said that he would not be competing at the competition due to his refusal to part in the promotion work. The UFC president went on to say that they would find another fighter to fight McGregors opponent, Diaz. In another twist, when Diaz was asked about who he wanted to face, he said that he would only fight McGregor, or he would go on vacation.
The saga did not end there as the following day McGregor Tweeted the following:
Happy to announce that I am BACK on UFC 200!
Shout out to @danawhite and @lorenzofertitta on getting this one done for the fans.
#Respect — Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 25, 2016
Fight fans around the world were excited by this news and everybody thought that McGregor and the UFC had put to one side there differences. It was not the case though and shortly after the tweet Dana White spoke to media saying that the statement was false and Conor was not on the UFC 200 card.
Nobody knows what is going to happen next in the battle of ego`s. After McGregor had beaten Aldo at UFC 194 in 13 seconds, he became the UFC`s biggest star. Dana White likes to be in complete contact with the fighters, though, and he is keen to keep the Irish superstar in check.
It is hoped that it will not be the last time that we see McGregor in the octagon. Watching him knock out the pound for pound king at UFC 194 raised his status, but this sage will not help his cause to be the biggest sports star in the world. McGregor was seen getting on a plane yesterday, so let’s hope it is to see Dana White, and they can finally settle their differences and give fight fans what they want.
Currently the odds at the top sports betting sites are showing McGregor as favorite: 2½ (-135) -135 against Nate Diaz 2½ (+115) +115.