2018 Military Bowl Betting Analysis & Tips – Virginia Tech vs. Cincinnati
The best betting websites are favoring the Cincinnati Bearcats by 5.5 points over the Virginia Tech Hokies. Cincinnati finished third in the AAC East division with a 10-2 record (6-2 in conference play). The Bearcats went 7-5 ATS in the regular season as well. They are coming off a 56-6 win over East Carolina as 15.5-point home faves. This is Cinci’s first bowl appearance since 2015 when the lost the Hawaii Bowl 7-42 to San Diego State. It will also be their second Military Bowl.
Vtech finished fifth in the ACC Coastal division with a 6-6 record (4-4 in conference play). According to the best online sportsbooks, the Hookies went 5-7 ATS during the regular season. Their most recent game was a 41-20 win over Marshall as 3.5-point home chalk. This will be Vtech’s 26th straight bowl appearance and second Military Bowl.
Betting Virginia Tech
Starting QB Ryan Willis has 22 TDs and eight picks on 2497 passing yards. And that’s without having played the first three games of the season. Of course, at the time, he was Josh Jackson’s backup. “The thing about Ryan is, he lays it all on the field,” head coach Justin Fuente said. “He plays as hard as he can play. … This is a kid that came in, was a backup and kept plugging away. Kept trying to learn. Kept trying to do the right thing and got his opportunity. It’s nice to see him have success.”
Starting QB Desmond Ridder has 19 TDs and five picks on 2359 yards through the air. Kahlil Lewis and Josiah Deguara have 1233 yards and 14 TDs on 24 catches between the two. Michael Warren II has 17 TDs on 1163 yards on the ground. The Bearcats are also succeeding where the Hokies are uncharacteristically failing. Cinci ranks No. 7 in the country in scoring defense with 16.1 points allowed per game. Malik Clements has 53 tackles. Cortez Broughton has 5½ sacks. And James Wiggins has intercepted three passes. With this ability to keep points off the board it’s no wonder the best betting websites favor Cincinnati.
Virginia Tech Hokies vs. Cincinnati Bearcats – Military Bowl Betting Preview
- Date: December 31
- Time: 12:00 p.m. ET
- Venue: Navy–Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, Annapolis, MD (Military Bowl)
Odds from BetOnline.ag:
- Virginia Tech +5½ (-110) 53½ (-110) +185
- Cincinnati U -5½ (-110) 53½ (-110) -225
- Bearcats are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 non-conference games.
- Bearcats are 3-7-1 ATS in their last 11 games after allowing less than 100 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Bearcats are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games after accumulating more than 200 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Hokies are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games after accumulating more than 280 yards passing in their previous game
- Hokies are 1-6 ATS in their last 7 games after accumulating more than 450 total yards in their previous game
- Hokies are 0-7 ATS in their last 7 games after allowing more than 200 yards rushing in their previous game.
— #MilitaryBowl (@MilitaryBowl) December 26, 2018
Our Game Prediction: The Hokies will have the de facto home field advantage. Even though playing at home has done them little good this season. As a matter of fact, Vtech is 3-3 SU and ATS at Lane Stadium this year. To be fair, though, those three losses came to Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, and Boston College. Moreover, defense is usually the Hokies’ strong suit. Not this season, though. They have allowed more than 40 points four times and conceded 52 to Pittsburgh this year. And the Bearcats are simply more reliable, at least by comparison, against the spread. Users of the best betting websites should take Cinci and the points.