LSU Tigers vs. UCF Knights (Fiesta Bowl 1-1-19) Picks & Odds
Offshore sportsbooks odds favor the LSU Tigers by 7.5-points over the UCF Knights in the 48th Fiesta Bowl. LSU finished third in the SEC West division with a 9-3 record (5-3 in conference play) and 6-6 ATS. They wrapped their regular season was 72-74 loss to TAMU as three-point road dogs. This will be the Tigers’ 19th straight bowl appearance and first PlayStation Fiesta Bowl.
UCF was the AAC West division champion with a perfect 12-0 record (8-0 in conference play). The Knights also went 9-3 ATS, according to the best online sportsbooks. UCF beat Memphis 56-41 as one-point favorites in the AAC championship game. This will be their third straight bowl appearance, second Fiesta Bowl, and first bowl game with head coach Josh Heupel.
The Tigers’ bowl appearance streak is the fifth longest active in the NCAA and second longest in the SEC. however, the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl will be their first New Year’s Six bowl game. “It’s a reward for our young men that worked very hard,” head coach Ed Orgeron said. “Thought we’ve had a good season, and these guys started off unknown throughout the season. Had some very big wins throughout the season. We gelled as a football team. It’s a great reward for our football team. Very well deserved.” Motivation will be at an all-time high.
Starting QB McKenzie Milton just underwent his fourth knee surgery. He will travel to Glendale with the team. But he will obviously not play in the Fiesta Bowl. Milton had 25 TDs and six picks on 266.4 passing yards per game. Backup Darriel Mack Jr. went 19 of 27 for 348 yards and two TDs in the AAC championship game. He also rushed for 59 yards and another four scores. The Knights won the championship and covered the one-point sports betting USA spread.
LSU Tigers vs. UCF Knights – Fiesta Bowl Betting Preview
- Date: January 1, 2019
- Time: 12:00 p.m. CT
- Venue: State Farm Stadium, Glendale, AZ (Fiesta Bowl)
Lines from Intertops.eu:
- LSU -7½ (-105) 55½ (-110) -290
- CENTRAL FLORIDA +7½ (-115) 55½ (-110) +245
- Tigers are 3-1-1 ATS in their last 5 games after allowing more than 40 points in their previous game
- LSU is 2-5 ATS in their last 7 bowl games
- Tigers are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games after allowing more than 200 yards rushing in their previous game
- Knights are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games after allowing more than 40 points in their previous game
- UCF is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games after allowing more than 200 yards rushing in their previous game
- Knights are 20-5-1 ATS in their last 26 games after allowing more than 450 total yards in their previous game
Our Game Prediction: UCF is the proverbial big fish in a small pond. Actually, it’s more like a great white in a koi pond. The Knights have strung 25 straight wins together. However, like Chris Rock said, you shouldn’t brag about something you’re supposed to do. Now, upsetting LSU would be something about which to brag. The Tigers by the way have faced tougher opponents and come out on top. They bested Miami 33-17 as three-point dogs. Also, overcame Auburn as 10-point road dogs. They upset Georgia as seven-point underdogs. UCF’s strength of schedule, or lack thereof, is evident. The Fiesta Bowl is the first time the Knights are not favorites since the Peach Bowl back in January. All of which is to say that LSU is a battle-tested team. The Tigers have enough in them to win and cover the offshore sportsbooks spread.