Clemson vs. Alabama 2019 CFP National Championship Spread & Picks
The Alabama Crimson Tide is favored by a 5.5 points over the Clemson Tigers, according to the best sport betting sites. The Tide beat Oklahoma 45-34 in the Orange Bowl. ‘Bama were 14.5-point favorites, per the best online sportsbooks. Meanwhile, Clemson defeated Notre Dame 30-3 as 10.5-point chalk in the Cotton Bowl. The fourth Alabama-Clemson bout in as many seasons promises to be the best one yet. Though they should just play the last two quarters. If we go by WaPo’s Chuck Culpepper, that is. “Alabama might sprint to a heavy first-quarter lead, and Clemson might recover to a heavy second-quarter comeback,” he writes. “Then they’ll go to halftime and start over.” The Tide has outscored opponents 220-45 in the first quarter this season. And just 199-68 in the second. Conversely, the Tigers have won first quarters 107-38, and second quarters 211-38.
The Samoan Bulldozer Tua Tagovailoa has 41 TDs and only four picks on 3671 passing yards. The Hawaiian Behemoth completes 69.5% of his passing attempts. The Leviathan of the South Seas threw for 318 yards and four TDs against the Sooners. Defensively, the Tide allows just 14.8 points and 178.4 passing yards per game. Isaiah Buggs has 9.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. Quinnen Williams has 18 tackles. Alabama has covered five of their last seven games as a favorite of at least six points, according to the best sport betting sites.
Starting QB Trevor Lawrence has 27 TDs and four picks on 2933 yards through the air. Running back Travis Etienne has 22 TDs on 1572 rushing yards (8.3 yards per attempt). On defense, Clelin Ferrel has 10.5 sacks and Christian Wilkins has five. Defensive lineman Dexter Lawrence will miss the championship game after testing positive for a PED. The Tigers have covered their last four games as an underdog of at least six points. However, only two of those games have taken place since 2014.
Alabama Crimson Tide vs. Clemson Tigers – CFP National Championship Betting
- Date: January 7, 2019
- Time: 8:00 p.m. ET
- Venue: Levi’s Stadium – Santa Clara, CA (CFP National Championship)
Lines from MyBookie.ag:
|Clemson||+5½ (-110)||58 (-110)||+180|
|Alabama||-5½ (-110)||58 (-110||-220|
- Tigers are 6-2 ATS in their last 8 games after allowing less than 20 points in their previous game
- Tigers are 35-17 ATS in their last 52 games after allowing less than 100 yards rushing in their previous game
- Tigers are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games after accumulating more than 450 total yards in their previous game
- Crimson Tide are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games after accumulating more than 280 yards passing in their previous game
- Crimson Tide are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games after allowing more than 280 yards passing in their previous game
- Crimson Tide are 7-2 ATS in their last 9 vs. ACC. Crimson Tide are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games after allowing more than 450 total yards in their previous game
Our Game Prediction: Both these schools are undefeated. However, Clemson has arguably come closest to losing. Against Syracuse and TAMU to be more specific. Having said that, this one could easily go either way. Hence, users of the best sport betting sites might be more comfortable betting on the total. The Tide as well as the Tigers are three-lock boxes defensive-wise. But they are also overachievers offensive-wise. Alabama scores 47.7 points per game and has gone over 60 points in 12 of 14 games this season. Clemson has gone over 60 in only five games this season, but their three previous meeting with ‘Bama have.