Ohio State Buckeyes at Penn State Nittany Lions, Pick Against the Spread
The Ohio State Buckeyes are 3½-points betting favorites against the Penn State Nittany Lions, according to many a sports betting sites. According to Bill Landis of Cleveland.com, OSU’s pass-heavy offense is an anomalous albeit welcomed sight. “[Head coach Urban] Meyer likes a physical, run-first football team that imposes its will on opponents. That’s not exactly synonymous with a team that throws the ball around the yard most of the time,” Landis writes. Verily, why would the Buckeyes rely so heavily on the passing game? It’s not like starting QB Dwayne Haskins is completing 75% of his passes. Oh, right; he is. Haskins has 16 TD passes on 1194 yards through the air. If OSU’s newfound aerial attack is a result of Pope Urban missing the first three games of the season, then he can miss many more.
Meanwhile, the Lions are more partial to the run. Running back Miles Sanders has five TDs on 495 yards on the ground. He’s no Saquon Barkley, but who is? Other than the actual Saquon Barkley, of course.
Betting Ohio State
The Buckeyes have outscored opponents 218-68 in the first four games of the season. Including a close (you can’t see it but I’m doing air quotes) contest against TCU (40-28). As well as blowing Tulane to Kingdom Come (49-6). However, all those four games, minus the TCU one, took place at Ohio Stadium.
OSU has not completely neglected the running game. The running back tandem of JK Dobbins and Mike Weber has a combined five TDs on 622 yards.
Defensively, the Buckeyes lost Nick Bosa. He’s expected to return until November.
Betting Penn State
The Lions didn’t exactly come out swinging in their season opener. However, they have outscored opposing teams 222-78 through the first four weeks. In addition to Sanders’ output, starting QB Trace McSorley has eight TDs and two picks on 763 passing yards.
On defense, PSU allowed App State 38 points, and Illinois 24. This not so reliable defense is OSU’s best bet to cover the sports betting site’s spread.
Ohio State Buckeyes at Penn State Nittany Lions NCAA Football Betting Preview
- Date: September 29
- Time: 7:30 p.m. ET
- Venue: Beaver Stadium, University Park, PA
Odds from GTBets.eu:
- Ohio State -3½ (-110) 69 (-110) -170
- Penn State +3½ (-110) 69 (-110) +150
- 5 points per game (2nd)
- 0 total yards per game (3rd)
- 8 passing yards per game (6th)
- 3 rushing yards per game (27th)
- 3 total yards allowed per game (25th)
- 3 passing yards allowed per game (39th)
- 0 rushing yards allowed per game (59th)
Penn State Team Stats
- 5 points per game (1st)
- Five total yards per game (16th)
- 5 passing yards per game (62nd)
- 0 rushing yards per game (10th)
- 8 total yards allowed per game (45th)
- 3 passing yards allowed per game (29th)
- 5 rushing yards allowed per game (82nd)
- Ohio State is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games
- The Buckeyes are 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
- Ohio State is 22-3 SU in its last 25 games on the road
- Penn State is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games
- The Nittany Lions are 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
- Penn State is 12-3-1 ATS in its last 16 games at home