Falcons are Betting Favorites Against Saints by a field-goal in NFL Week 3
The Atlanta Falcons are sports gambling online favorites over the New Orleans Saints by a field-goal. This will be the 99th overall meeting between these two bitter rivals. “A traditional rivalry, perhaps the most spirited in all of professional football, was born Sunday afternoon in the Sugar Bowl following one of the most nerve-wracking, controversial and surprising hours in the 1967 National Football League season,” Atlanta Journal reporter Bob Hertzel wrote about the very first encounter in the now newly-christened Mercedes Benz Bowl. The enmity between Saints and Falcons hasn’t waned a bit ever since. And this Sunday we’re bound to bear witness to a veritable shootout. Especially with veteran gunslingers Drew Brees and Matt Ryan on the gridiron. No wonder the best offshore sportsbooks have set the total at 54 points.
Betting New Orleans
The Saints are very lucky they are not 0-2 SU as they are ATS. Against Cleveland, wide receivers Michael Thomas and Ted Ginn Jr. fumbled at the most inopportune times. And the Browns pretty much allowed New Orleans to steal the win. Cleveland kicker Zane Gonzalez missed a field goal when the Browns had the Saints dead to rights. Breesus was solid as ever, going 28 of 35 for 243 yards with a touchdown and no picks.
Defensively, New Orleans allowed 521 total yards to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and 327 to the Browns. That’s improvement only by comparison.
Running back Tevin Coleman had 107 yards on 16 carries versus the Panthers in the absence of Devonta Freeman. Coleman will start again against the Saints. Matt Ryan’s went 23 of 28 for 272 yards with a touchdown and one pick. Additionally, Matty Ice scored two rushing TDs.
The Falcons are 10-2 SU in their last 12 divisional games. Meanwhile, the Saints are 1-3 SU in their last four in Atlanta. And 1-5 SU in their past six on the road against divisional opponents. Doesn’t bode well for their sports gambling online chances.
New Orleans Saints at Atlanta Falcons NFL Week 3 Betting Preview
- Date: September 23
- Time 1:00 p.m. ET
- Venue: Mercedes-Benz Stadium
Odds from MyBookie.ag:
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS +3 (-120) 53½ (-110) +124
- ATLANTA FALCONS -3 (EV) 53½ (-110) -144
- Points per game: 30.5 (6th)
- Total yards per game: 375.0 (14th)
- Passing yards per game: 322.5 (4th)
- Rushing yards per game: 52.5 (32nd)
- Points allowed per game: 33.0 (30th)
- Total yards allowed per game: 428.0 (29th)
- Passing yards allowed per game: 325.5 (29th)
- Rushing yards allowed per game: 102.5 (17th)
Atlanta Team Stats
- Points per game: 21.5 (20th)
- Total yards per game: 370.5 (15th)
- Passing yards per game: 248.5 (16th)
- Rushing yards per game: 122.0 (8th)
- Points allowed per game: 21.0 (12th)
- Total yards allowed per game: 335.5 (11th)
- Passing yards allowed per game: 218.5 (10th)
- Rushing yards allowed per game: 117.0 (24th)
- New Orleans is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games
- The Saint are 13-5 SU in its last 18 games
- New Orleans is 13-5-1 ATS in its last 19 games on the road
- Atlanta is 8-4 SU in its last 12 games
- Falcons are 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games at home
- Atlanta is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games at home
The Saints are 9-1-1 ATS in their last 11 games on the road as an underdog of at least three points. Meanwhile, the Falcons have covered nine of their last 13 at home as favorites of at least three points. Hence, perhaps the decisive factor is home advantage. The home team has six of the last ten encounters and covered the sports gambling online spread in nine of the last 13. Not to mention that Atlanta has been the better team through two weeks.