Citrus Bowl Predictions (Penn State vs. Kentucky) 1/1/19
The Penn State Nittany Lions are seven points favorites over the Kentucky Wildcats, according to online betting USA odds. Penn State finished third in the Big Ten East division with a 9-3 record (6-3 in conference play). And a 7-5 ATS record as well. The Lions’ final game of the regular season was a 38-3 win over Maryland as 12-point home chalk. This will be PSU’s fifth straight bowl appearance and fourth Citrus Bowl.
Kentucky finished second in the SEC East division with nine wins and three losses (five and three in conference play). The Wildcats went 5-7 ATS in the regular season, per the best online sportsbooks. UK is coming off a 56-10 win over Louisville as 17-point road faves. This will be Kentucky’s third straight bowl appearance and first ever Citrus Bowl.
Betting Penn State
Much can be said of Kentucky’s quest for that long-elusive 10-win season. But PSU is on a quest of its own. And that’s a third straight 10-win season. It would be the first such occurrence for this program since 1982. “That’s our goal,” quarterback Trace McSorley said. “It’s hard to win 10 games two years in a row, but it’s even harder to do it three years in a row. You look at the teams able to do that, it’s Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson. Those programs that are always at the top. If we’re able to do that, it puts us in a really good spot for the future and something that would be a testament to all the hard work we put in this year.”
There’s bad news and good news for Wildcats fans. The Citrus Bowl will be running back Benny Snell Jr.’s final game with Kentucky. But at least he is not going to skip it. He will skip he senior year, though, and enter the 2019 NFL draft. Snell has 14 TDs on 1305 rushing yards this season. He is ranked No. 10 running back in the 2019 draft class by The Athletic.com.
According to online betting USA trends, UK is 6-6 ATS in their last 12 games as dogs of at least three-point dogs.
Penn State Nittany Lions vs. Kentucky Wildcats – Citrus Bowl Betting Preview
- Date: January 1, 2019
- Time: 1:00 p.m. ET
- Venue: Camping World Stadium, Orlando, FL (Citrus Bowl)
Lines from MyBookie.ag:
- KENTUCKY +7 (-130) 47 (-110) +215
- PENN STATE -7 (+110) 47 (-110) -255
- Wildcats are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games after accumulating more than 450 total yards in their previous game
- Wildcats are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 games after allowing less than 170 yards passing in their previous game
- Wildcats are 5-16 ATS in their last 21 games after allowing more than 200 yards rushing in their previous game
- Nittany Lions are 14-3-1 ATS in their last 18 games after accumulating more than 200 yards rushing in their previous game
- Nittany Lions are 8-2-1 ATS in their last 11 games after allowing less than 275 total yards in their previous game
- Nittany Lions are 12-3-1 ATS in their last 16 games following a straight up win of more than 20 points
— VRBO Citrus Bowl (@CitrusBowl) December 2, 2018
Our Game Prediction: Penn State has almost perfected the art of defense in the final stretch of the season. The Lions allowed Wisconsin 10 points, Rutgers seven, and Maryland just three. At this rate, they should shut Kentucky out. However, the Wildcats have not won 10 games since 1977. If it doesn’t happen in the Citrus Bowl, they will have to wait another year. Some online betting USA experts say that bowl games boil down to motivation. The takeaway being that you should fade Penn State. But as a fan of downer endings, I’ve a feeling PSU will spoil UK’s party. And cover while they’re at it.